This year we are very excited to announce that the NOW Festival 2019 will be coming to Sefton!
The festival will be held at The Atkinson Theatre in Southport on the 12th-13th February 2019. This year’s theme is ‘Rise Up- Adverse Childhood Experience’– a theme that will encourage young people to explore mental health and how to build resilience.
The aims of the festival are to:
- Empower young people to challenge the stigma around mental health
- Educate young people about mental health
- To give young people a voice and an active leadership role in devising their pieces
- Knowledge and ownership on the NOW issue and how these can affect mental health
- Build confidence and self-esteem by taking part in the process/performing on stage
- Ultimately, have fun and enjoy the whole process of talking about mental health and the NOW theme whilst challenging stigma
What you will get from the process:
- A mental health/ theme workshop for your group. This will be at your school or youth group setting and facilitated by a member of the SPACE team.
- A mentor to support you along the way
- Lantern making workshops for other groups/classes in your school or youth group (these will be used in the festival).
- A mental health Champion Plaque for your school
- Recognition borough wide from the Mayor of Sefton that your school is a Mental Health Ambassador
- Medals and T.shirts for all those who participate
- Potential training/assemblies all about mental health
- Your group will get the opportunity to perform in a professional venue
We are very excited that this year there is a new, creative way to get involved in the NOW Festival Sefton 2019. We will be representing the theme is ‘Rise Up: Adverse Childhood Experience’ by supporting young people to create lanterns that will be used in the festival. The idea behind the lanterns is that each young person can pledge to start shining a light to break the stigma and support those struggling with their mental health.
- Lantern making workshops are offered out to any class or youth group.
- You can multiple workshops in your school/youth group for different classes.
- At the beginning of the workshop there will be an activity/workshop about mental health and the theme ‘Rise Up’.
- The workshop will take approx. an hour but it can be stretched out over multiple lessons if you would like more of a mental health workshop for your children/young people.
- The lanterns will be used in the finale of the NOW Festival Sefton 2019 and as part of the installation/ set at the venue.
The Festival is a fantastic way of engaging and educating young people about mental health. Your school will have the opportunity to win an award for the school whose piece is the catalyst that champions mental health. This will be explained further on the launch night.
This year’s festival is going to be bigger and better than any before and we want as many of you involved as possible.